Friday, July 15, 2011

Say No to No!

After teaching preschool for 7 years I already understood the importance of not saying, "No!" Once Sidney was mobile I found myself saying it several times one day. I have since then made a conscious effort to "no saying no" at our house. It is difficult when you see your child about to make a huge mess, hurt themselves or hurt something in the house. I read somewhere that a toddler hears no about 400 times a day. Not only is it negative, but it weakens the meaning of the word. I am trying really hard to use redirection and positive reinforcement and save saying, "no" for emergencies when she is really is in danger. I found 2 helpful articles today and I thought I would share them.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Katie! I just noticed that you are a new follower of my blog so I thought I'd take a peek at yours =)

    I've only read a few posts but I already love it! I love how intentional your parenting is with your little girl. I too, have an early education degree so the teacher in me often times rises up! I really enjoyed this post, because I catch myself saying "No" an awful lot these days, & this was a good reminder to cool it a bit. Thanks for that!

    I'm looking forward to reading more!

    ~Holly

    ReplyDelete